Monday, August 17, 2009

The Pirate



As mentioned in my last post, I must comment on the 1948 MGM film The Pirate staring Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. I have read mixed reviews about this movie, including comments from Gene Kelly himself. Some were about Judy Garland and her behavior on the set, some about her personal life. As expected, these comments put the movie into question before I even saw it. After seeing the film, I must say that Judy had nothing to do with any low ratings the film may have received. As far as her acting and dancing were concerned, she was spot on.

So you may ask, "What is it that made the movie a flop?" In my opinion, the choice of songs and some of the costuming left a lot to be desired. I thought the opening number "Niña" was embarrassingly bad. The lyrics were terrible. I'm sorry Mr. Porter, but you don't have to use the word Schizophrenia just because it rhymes with Niña!

It's been said that "Cole Porter abhorred the picture, calling it 'a $5,000,000 Hollywood picture that was unspeakably wretched, the worst that money could buy.'" I say, "Thanks for your contributions Cole!"

In addition, I don't think the "Be a Clown" number fit the time period of the film. I loved seeing the Nicolas Brothers dance, but the style of song stood apart from the rest and felt too modern. It seemed as though the use of the song was an afterthought. Personally, I couldn't get past the fact that the melody was just like "Make 'em Laugh", which Donald O'Connor would dance to in Singing in the Rain four years later.

Lastly, Gene's wig drove me crazy. It was so stiff and when he did any spin or quick turn it would fly out and stay all wonky. God! Not attractive at all.

With all of that being said, I must confess that the film gets better with each viewing. If people can look beyond the things I mentioned above they will see a truly entertaining film. The Pirate takes a poke at the serious swashbuckling films of that period. In fact, the film is filled with some of the best comedy I have ever seen in a Garland film. Her physical comedy is on par with Lucille Ball throughout the film. Her far-from-subtle fainting scene just about had me on the floor.

Again, the chemistry between Judy Garland and Gene Kelly is evident in this film. According to the Judy Garland Database, Judy and Gene's original take of "Voodoo" was so steamy that Mayer had the negative destroyed and demanded that they retake the number. The number was eventually replaced with "Mack the Black." Even as it stands, it is definitely the most sensual and suggestive number Judy ever performed on film.

Not only do they portray their attraction for each other with great ease, they dance beautifully together as well. Often, when watching Gene dance with a partner (male or female) I find my eyes lock onto Gene. He is such a fantastic dancer. It's hard not to notice. But Judy Garland can keep up with him with no problem. She has so much charisma, she just about jumps off of the screen. What a talent.


The Pirate Movie Preview
"Mack The Black"
The Connection


Interesting trivia from IMDb-

Gene Kelly fought to get The Nicholas Brothers (Fayard Nicholas and Harold Nicholas) included in the movie. But, when one dance sequence was being rehearsed, Harold Nicholas was just going through the motions, and Gene Kelly accused him of not knowing the routine - so Nicholas danced the whole routine, alone, full-out and flawlessly. Kelly was speechless.


The "Be a Clown" sequence was cut by exhibitors in Memphis and other U.S. cities in the South because it included The Nicholas Brothers, who were black.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, you are right that 'Be A Clown' and 'Make 'em laugh' are VERY similar. The story goes that Gene wanted a comic song for Donald's solo in SITR, but could not find anything from the Freed repetoire which was used for the movie. so he asked Freed to write a song along the lines of 'Be A Clown'. Sure enough Freed gave them 'Make 'em Laugh', more or less a direct copy. I think everyone was a little shocked but Cole Porter did not sue, fortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just now noticed that you commented here. Thanks for stopping by. I enjoued looking at you blog as well.

    ReplyDelete