Friday, September 4, 2009

Juilliard vs. SYTYCD

Last night I watched a three-part series about Juilliard School of Dance on the Ovation Channel (awesome channel by the way. Look it up). It followed the lives of the senior graduating class, which consisted of only 16 students! Wow!

Here's a link to the Ovation TV website: http://www.ovationtv.com/

The show took an inside look at the style of dance taught at the school. It is much more creative than a traditional dance academy. A jazz performance training program was established in 2001. But here's the deal, I wasn't that impressed with the technique of some of the dancers. I believe that I saw better technique on the last SYTYCD. Seriously. Jeanine's turns looked far more controlled and centered than most of the students at Julliard. I was really suprised.

I guess this is why I am hooked on SYTYCD. The quality of the dancer's techniques are superb. And you can't beat the variety of styles.

No comments:

Post a Comment